Home Safety Council research shows that poisoning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury related death in the home. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) more than 92 percent of the 2.4 million poison exposures reported in the latest year studied occurred in the home. Yet, the Home Safety Council found that most families are not taking the appropriate precautions to reduce the risk of poison exposure.
Poison prevention is for everyone, not just children. The Home Safety Council's poisoning prevention advice can help individuals and families keep their homes safer from poisonous and toxic products, chemicals and gases, regardless of the ages of the occupants. Homes with young children need to take extra precautions. Follow these guidelines to keep your family safe from poison exposures at home:
Know to call 911 if someone takes poison.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell. The gas collects when fuels are burned.
Have a service person check heaters, stoves and fireplaces every year to see that they work well.
Have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector near the bedrooms. This will tell you if the gas level is too high.
Push the “test” button on the detector so everyone will know the sound it makes.
Know the things in your home that are poisons.
Look at the labels for the words “Caution”, “Warning”, or “Danger” on the box or bottle. Read the labels and follow directions when using these.
Protect Young Children
Take all medicines and medical supplies out of purses, pockets and drawers.
Put them in a cabinet with a child safety lock.
Have child safety caps on all chemicals, medications and cleaning products.
Lock all dangerous items and products in a cabinet. Cosmetics (make-up) can be poison too.
Keep all dangerous products in the bottle or package they came in, with the labels on.
Store all dangerous products away from food and drinks.
Keep each family member’s medicines in a separate place, so they don’t get mixed up.
In the Bathroom
Keep all chemicals, cosmetics (make-up), medicines and medical supplies and cleaning products in the containers they came in with the labels on.
Have a medicine cabinet you can lock.
Flush old or unwanted medicines down the toilet.
To safely dispose of all unused or expired prescription drugs, take the drugs out of their original containers, mix them with undesirable items (coffee grounds or kitty litter) and put them in watertight and unmarked containers, like empty cans or bags that can be sealed shut. Throw the containers in the trash.
In the Garage and Storage Areas
Chemicals, fuels (such as gasoline), car fluids (such as anti-freeze), pesticides (such as bug killers), and lawn and garden products (such as fertilizer) are poison.
Close the lid and put all dangerous products away after using them.
Store them where children cannot reach them.
Close and put away dangerous products after using them.
Clean up spills as soon as they happen.
When Using Motors
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell. The gas collect when fuels are burned.
Never run the car inside the garage, even with the door open.
Use portable generators outside only. Do not use it inside your home or garage.
Use a barbeque grill outside only. Do not use it in your home or garage.
727 Pitts Road Richmond, Texas 77406 All Rights Reserved Pecan Grove Fire Department 1982-2011 No images, content, media or any part of this site may be used without written permission from PGFD.